Chronicle wins five ‘Best of the Christian Press’ awards at Chicago convention
In The Christian Chronicle’s first year to compete, staff members took four individual awards, and the paper placed third overall in the prestigious “Best of Class” category.
- Third place in Best of Class: National or International Newspaper, Lynn McMillon, editor. The Chronicle “continues to impress with the breadth of coverage and quality of original reporting, especially on the front page,” contest judge Duane S. Stoltzfus said. Stoltzfus is a former national copy editor for The New York Times and the communication department chairman at Goshen College in Indiana, which is associated with the Anabaptist-Mennonite tradition.(First place went to the Anglican Journal, Canada’s national Anglican newspaper. The second place winner was Episcopal Life, the national newspaper of the Episcopal Church.)
- Second Place in Editorial or Opinion Piece: Newspaper or News Service, for “Connecting teens and wisdom online,” by Tamie Ross. “Children and the Internet pose a major problem, and this editorial grapples directly with them. This editorial looks at our youth not with fear but with loving concern and a sense of opportunity,” contest judge William Thorn said. Thorn is a professor and past chairman of Marquette University’s College of Journalism.(This category includes entries from state, regional, national and international religious publications as well as wire services such as Religion News Service. There were 24 total entries in this category.)
- Third place for Photography with Article or Cutline, Newspaper, Newsletter, News Service, or Website, for “Zimbabwe: Finding joy in a time of sorrow,” by Erik Tryggestad. (There were 24 total entries in this category.)
- Third place for News Story: Newspaper, for “Minister’s slaying, wife’s arrest deal double tragedy,” by Bobby Ross Jr. (There were 26 total entries in this category.)
- Third place for Feature Article: Newspaper, for “Surviving the Storm: Hurricane Katrina anniversary,” by Bobby Ross Jr. (There were 26 total entries in this category.)