Smoke and flames pour out of an entrance to the Thomas Street church’s building in Altus, Okla., Dec. 7. The early-morning blaze claimed the auditorium and most of the classrooms, built in the 1960s. But it spared the church’s recently added family-life center, separated from the rest of the building by a fire door. Fire officials said they were investigating but suspected a malfunctioning heater may have started the fire. No one was in the building, and no injuries were reported, but some Bible class teachers lost 40 years worth of materials, church members said. The congregation conducted Wednesday services at a funeral home and plans to meet in the family-life center as it reconstructs the auditorium.