York University is located in York, Nebraska, roughly 45 minutes west of Lincoln and 45 minutes east of Grand Island. The University has a strong Christian heritage and is affiliated with the churches of Christ. York University is both a ministry and mission field providing numerous opportunities to introduce students to Jesus and/or help them grow closer to him in their faith. Our campus footprint provides ample space for our 450 seated students and 200 online students. We are unashamed of being a Christian university focusing on Jesus in the classroom, the choir hall, the athletic field, and every other space imaginable. We are seeking a dedicated Jesus follower who is an energetic, passionate, ministry minded individual with a “can do” spirit to serve as our next Campus Minister.
The Campus Minister leads spiritual life for the University under the direction of the President’s Office. This includes oversight of Christian ministries and accompanying programs, including pastoral care, and crisis response. The Campus Minister focuses on cooperation among university spiritual life initiatives across the University.
● Build strong faith based relationships with students, faculty, and staff at York.
● Lead, plan, and facilitate York’s daily chapel program The Well.
● Develop mentoring groups among student volunteers to provide spiritual growth opportunities across campus.
● Oversee weekly campus wide worship nights and devotionals.
● Supervise a chaplain program which supports students involved in the Arts and Athletics.
● Lead, attend and contribute at spiritual life programs, training, and retreats.
● Lead collaborative efforts and connections across the University.
● Provide pastoral care and ministry for all students. Serve as a designated confidential resource for Title IX. In the event of crises, serve as an Emergency Response Team member.
● Coordinate the community’s public faith response to significant events in the life of the University, such as memorial and prayer services.
● Meet regularly with Senior Administration and attend meetings and committees at President’s request, including working with advancement staff to promote spiritual life initiatives; as coordinated by advancement, meet with donors interested in supporting spiritual life initiatives at York.
● Participate in professional staff development and attend/make presentations at professional conferences, University events, and in the community.
● Lead regular assessment of spiritual life programs and learning outcomes, lead the process for annual reports of programs, and oversee the departmental budget. Coordinate regular research on the spiritual lives of students.
● Preach or teach occasionally at churches as a representative of York University.
● Attend University events and activities.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
● Uphold the University mission through work performed and life lived.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Active member of the Churches of Christ. Bachelor’s degree. Ability to plan and lead thoughtful, biblically-centered worship; skills and the passion to provide mature pastoral care to members of the community in times of crisis; capacity to teach, preach, and minister effectively to University students and community; mature understanding of Christian spirituality and practical experience in spiritual formation; ability to integrate Christian faith with student development theories and practice; excellent interpersonal and written communication skills; ability to maintain a professional demeanor and uphold confidentiality; ability to effectively manage emergencies and respond diplomatically to issues; ability to articulate a strong theological commitment to diversity and work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds; ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines; detail-oriented and reliable follow-up. Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access), Google Suite (Docs, Drive, Sheets, Forms, etc.)
Strongly preferred: Master of Divinity or Doctor of Ministry degree in Bible, theology, ministry, religion, or a related field.
Preferred: Ministry experience; familiarity with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and other social media outlets. Experience with coordinating IT needs for programs (microphones, slide decks, videos).
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
This is a Regular, Exempt, 40 hour per week position.
The following documents should be submitted electronically to [email protected] Only electronic (PDF) submissions will be accepted. Applications should include:
● Letter of interest
● Three or more appropriate references who may be contacted
● A document responding to the following:
○ Response to the York University mission statement
○ Personal faith statement
○ Describe ways to create a sense of belonging through ministry
Benefits include group medical and dental insurance, group life insurance, 403b retirement plan, tuition benefits for employee/spouse/children.
The mission of York University is to transform lives through Christ-centered education and to equip students for lifelong service to God, family and society. It takes each employee to fulfill this purpose-driven mission.
York University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, gender, religion, or disability in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship, loan, and other financial aid programs, athletic and other University -administered programs or employment as required by federal laws, including Title VII and Title IX, except when such distinctions may be appropriate under state and federal constitutional provisions due to the religious identity of York University and its mission, as determined by its Board of Trustees and the nature of the particular employment position or activity in question.
For more information
President Sam Smith
1125 E 8th St
York, NE, United States